Financial consultant can work at banks, mutual fund firms, brokerage firms and investment management firms. Not all financial consultant offer the same products and services or have the same expertise. Some specialize in certain kinds of investments. Others can offer you a wide range of investments and services.
The right financial consultant for you will depend on what products and services you need, and how much you’re willing to pay for advice.
Choose a financial consultant who has the necessary qualifications and experience, who is registered with your local securities regulator and who you believe is trustworthy. Just as important is choosing someone you are comfortable with.
Start by screening candidates over the phone or make a call with us if we have a list. Find out if they are taking on new clients and what type of clients they work with. Once you’ve narrowed your list, set up meetings with each candidate at their office. This will give you a sense of how they run their business. Gauge how comfortable you would be working with them. Do they listen to you and answer your questions clearly? Do you have a good rapport with them?
Expect the financial consultant to have some questions for you as well. They will probably want to know what financial goals you want to achieve and what kind of services you’re looking for.
Checking the qualifications of your financial consultant
Find out if the financial consultant is qualified to give you the help you need. To help you decide, ask:
- What is your education and professional experience?
- How long has your firm been in business?
- How long have you been with the firm?
- Are you and your firm registered with a securities regulator?
- What products and services do you offer?
- How will you help me reach my goals?
- What kind of account reporting will you provide?
- How are you paid for your services (salary, commission or flat fee)?
- What fees will I be charged and how will they be reported to me?
- Who are your clients?
- Can you give me references from clients who are like me?
Your local securities regulator can tell you or confirm if an individual or firm is registered, the kind of registration they hold and if they have a record of any disciplinary action. Choosing and qualifying the best financial consultant can be done with our teleprospecting and with that, we can get you the most suitable financial consultant out in the market.